November 06, 2010

Bad news from the AI WEIWEI front !!!

           
                                  Photo : Tate Modern AIiweiwei signboard.   

Couple of weeks ago I went to see the Unilever Series at Tate Modern. A 100.000.000 hand made sunflower seeds, placed in the turbine hall of the museum.The singularly hand made seeds, are very much a metaphor which the artist uses to show us the importance of the singular individual into his own cultural background. Sunflower seeds were in China one of the symbols of the revolution.They are part of the chinese history and represents here the chinese people. I have really enjoyed the work and the documentary which is shown next to the 
massive installation and I support the intelligence  of this artist, which work is forbidden in his own country 
( China). 
I first thought I wasn't going to to a post about it, just coz I knew it was going to be publish anyway in planty of blogs. Anyhow a few minutes ago I discovered that the artist was today arrested and beaten up by the chinese local authorities.The reason for being forced to house arrest' is an exhibition space 
which the artist built within his studio space. If you want to know more here is the link to BBC news > LINK 




                    


No comments:

Post a Comment